Scrap Happy Traveller

SCRAP HAPPY TRAVELLER

Saturday, May 29, 2010

On Wednesday, very early, we headed for the airport for our 8 am flight to Dominica. The players' bags travelled in style!




We arrived safely after a 30 minute flight, to the musical welcome of this band. As we travelled with the West Indes group there was a lot of fuss on arrival.

We then loaded into our van for the 70 minute trip across the island to our hotel. In hindsight, someone should have warned me about the winding single lane (two way) road that wound itself up and over the mountains. There was a lot of start-stop as we squeezed past other vehicles! I would love to have taken photos for you, of the fabulous mountain and forest scenery but the camera went away smartly as I struggled to keep down the airport coffee. Much to my embarrassment, and relief, I had to ask the driver to stop while I was sick. All witnessed by our team and the carload of security guys who were following behind. Only another 20 minutes!!!! and I was in my room and on the bed. Even looking at the view made me feel sick. After a 3 hour sleep I was feeling better and able to take in the fabulous view.
Those rocks are right below our balcony. We are 2 floors up. The waves just keep on crashing in. The Hotel Fort Young was a fort in the early days, used by the French and English. It became a hotel but was completely flattened by a hurricane in the 70s and has been rebuilt. Our room is lovely. Even with the door closed you can hear the waves. The ship in harbour is a book fair!!! I strolled over for a look on Wed and bought a few novels very cheaply. (This ship travels the world with Christian volunteers running it.) I could feel that I wasn't on solid ground so I have confirmed my belief that I would not survive life on a cruise ship. (unfortunately)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment